Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Interview with Art Holeman Part 1

We have worked with Art Holeman for years. We have always admired, not only his photography, but also his work with Through Each Other's Eyes. TEOE is a not-for-profit organization celebrating their 20th anniversary in Arizona. Their goal is to promote international understanding through photography. A very dedicated group of volunteer photographers will take trips in a cultural exchange with a pair of photographers from that native country. Art recently came back from a trip in Mexico and sat down with us to share some of his experiences as well as his inspiration and background in photography.


MI: How did you decide to become a photographer?

Art laughs. "I wanted to be a photographer after seeing the ads in Playboy. When I first subscribed it truly was because of the ads. The lighting and composition intrigued me. When I started photography, I didn't shot people for years. It was the commercial side of photography that inspired me."

MI: Did you have any formal training?

"Yes, I completed a two year program at the Hawkeye Institute of Technology. Prior to that I had life experience shooting what was around me living in Michigan. I wrote to Kodak to inquire if they had a photo school I could attend. They did not, but were kind enough to send me back a booklet of every photo program in the country at the time. I chose Hawkeye Inst. and focused on commercial photography."

MI: Tell us about Through Each Other's Eyes

"I feel fortunate to be a part of that group. There is a board of 20 photographers. I have been a member for 2 years. I, along with Colleen Miniuk-Sperry, just completed our cultural exchange to both Japan and Mexico." Art adds, " One of the most important things that is required is if you can live with your fellow photographer on the road for a week. Colleen is very easy to get along with. I would travel with Colleen any time." He then smiles as he divulges, "Colleen loves to get up for sunrise shots."

Check back for part two of the interview where Art talks more about his experience traveling to Mexico and Japan for TEOE.

No comments: